Welcome to Watercolor!

Image Credit: Utrecht Art Supplies

Welcome! You may have found yourself here for a variety of reasons: you are looking for a creative outlet and need a starting point, you have always been curious about watercolor, or you are a classmate and have to read it (ha!). Regardless of the reason, I am happy you are here and looking forward to sharing what I have learned about watercolor with you!

Introductions: about me… well I guess you could say I have always been a creative person. I enjoyed a variety of artistic mediums in high school and in my early twenties (specifically photography). Funny thing is, as much as I have always appreciated art, I never thought I was “good enough” to consider myself an artist… Fast-forward a bit: Life, it happens; adult responsibilities and a new role as a parent led me to believe I should put hobbies aside. It was my choice and I don’t regret it as I learned a lot of life lessons. As time went on, I found myself wanting to re-explore those parts of me, but wasn’t sure where to start; oil painting, ink drawing, etching? There were many options, not to mention that old annoying voice trying to tell me, “you’re not an artist”. Ultimately, I decided to push that voice aside and started to explore a variety of mediums (mostly by looking up online videos). I tried a few things out, wasted a chunk of money on supplies that I probably wont use again… but then I started trying my hand at simple watercolor paintings, and boom- I fell in love. Now granted it is not an easy love. I am definitely still an amateur; for every painting I do that I am happy with, there are at least 4 that turned into disasters. BUT, diving in and trying things out has been critical to breaking down those barriers in my mind and finding my creativity again.

(C) jlowatercolor.2017

Maybe you will fall in love with watercolor, or maybe you wont. Regardless, you are doing something that is so important- you are taking time to explore what is inside you. And guess what, that makes you an artist too!

Side note- I've included a few of my watercolor paintings on this post (@jlowatercolor) so you can see some of the subject matter I've been working on.

Please post any questions or comments below!

Next week's blog: Supply Run!

*If you would like to get a head start on materials needed to start painting, click here for a video by Studio MM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QBJwcT5aiQ

(c) jlowatercolor.2018


(c) jlowatercolor.2017


Comments

  1. Your artwork is beautiful! I look forward to what you post! I enjoy watercolors also but it's been awhile since I've used them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina! I hope I can provide useful info :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Watercolor Styles: Loose vs. Tight

Sharing your Watercolors

Finding Watercolor Inspiration